constant shaders & shadow catchers

2507   2   1
15 posts
Is there a way to have something like a geometry with a constant shader which is not afffected by lighting but it contributes to GI(casts GI) and it receives shadows from other geometry (shadows which should be affected by GI)?

Lets say I got a grid textured with satellite imagery and now I want to build some geometry on it (eg. buildings) and I want to create GI lighting conditions in a way that it gets as close as possible as it was captured on satellite imagery. So, I dont want those satellite textures (on a grid) affected by the lighting, the lighting should serve just to light the objects which I'll be putting on the grid. However, I do want the grid to receive shadows and to cast GI on other geometry.

I'm aware there's a way to do this later in compositing with passes, but I just can't afford to go back and forth between hou - comp software cause it's a huge project and I have to constantly check lighting conditions as I'm building geometry.

Perhaps if there was a way to modify a shadow matte shader so that it displays results instantly on rendering (rather than just outputing black colors with alpha values) I would be able to apply this shader on a duplicate of my grid geometry while the original grid geo would just use a constant shader.
79 posts
You could use the comp editor in houdini - sounds like a simple enough setup that you could use it just to proof the concept.

That would save you jumping back and forth between software and it would be completely procedural.
79 posts
If you have a simple setup of what your trying to get with some notes in it attach the file.
  • Quick Links