dynamic M to Cm :: Pipeline thoughts

1302   1   1
665 posts
Hey Guys,

We're playing around with a new idea to switch centimeter models to meters.

At the moment, models are ingested from upstream in centimeters, converted to meters for Houdini Sims, and then published back out as centimeters to lighting.

In the hopes to best automate this process, it would be neat to have a tool that scales all necessary attributes from cm->m->cm seamlessly. At times you may add a rest attribute, or perhaps velocity to your geo.

I have whipped up a concept of this idea in the attached scene file using a Python SOP to edit a Wrangle node snippet. It's super basic, but adds each incoming attribute to the wrangle node, and multiplies it by 0.01.

My question is, can this be considered a stable approach? I notice that the python/wrangle node do not update in a few situations. One either in Manual cook mode, or if a lower level node is not displayed.

I wonder, are there any cases where this may become a stumbling block for the artists? Or does the python node manage too cook at all the right times?

thanks!

Attachments:
mToCm_v1.hipnc (249.1 KB)

617 posts
yes,
that will make numbers inside Houdini be consistent for every one not just for the fx guys.

we did a vop sop that just multiply velocity by a factor of 100, and depends of your show you might need other attributes.
  • Quick Links