Solidworks to Houdini - Converting Geometry etc.

31252   29   4
9 posts
Hi SreckoM

I tried cleaning up the normals as you suggested, but I'm still getting issues on the rear, as per the last image I sent

Apologies for sending such a high noise value - I've been altering things, then chucking the noise right up to see the changes. Also, I have been importing and removing geo within the file and haven't kept the scaling the same throughout, so some noise values weren't high enough for larger objects

What shader were you using for your last image?
379 posts
I was using metal_Anthracite, did some changes on it though. Also note that I used Envlight with HDR and deleted other lights in scene and used PBR as render engine.

Most important thing is to cusp normals with Vertex sop and it should work.

You do not even need to clean normals before that I think.

But as I said geo is really messy and I would not be surprised if there are some artifacts after that too. I did renders from few angles and it looks good.

9 posts
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd post an update.
Not much has changed tbh… for me, the best workflow has been via MOI then creating custom VOPS shaders. Out of the box shaders do something funky with the normals (seems to be the normals anyway)

But anyhow, I have the iron in Houdini looking good enough. The shaders aren't showing the tessellation now. The are some objects not quite smooth enough, but that would be a simple case of re-exporting on a case by case basis at a slightly higher res.

Would obviously be better if Houdini supported this kind of work a bit more, hopefully in the future…

I'll keep updating here as and when I find stuff. Many thanks for your helps so far!

Stu

Attachments:
iron_still_03.png (2.6 MB)
iron_still_02.png (3.3 MB)
iron_still_01.png (2.8 MB)

6 posts
Looks great Stu but I have to ask, considering pretty renders can be done with other less powerful/less difficult packages, why Houdini? Are there plans to take this iron or other products and animate? Add steam/smoke etc?

This does give me great hopes that my own ambitions for Houdini, as a product design tool (this is a hint to the developers…new/existing market waiting to be accommodated…) will work out!

Thanks for the update.
-GW
9 posts
Hi GW,

We're using Houdini for a number of reasons - animation, VFX and also the fact that we can make HDAs and re-use assets on elements like gas hob flames etc

Cheers!
Stu
75 posts
Sorry, late update from me. While it doesn't appear to be a bug, more a workflow issue, I found one solution and SESI offered another.

I found, the overlapping UVs to be an issue, which once sorted out it was good enough to go.

SESI's suggestion was computing normals and adding a Divide SOP using the Bricker Polygons toggle checked. My specific case called for a 0.2 size.
9 posts
Nice, thanks for the update Gyro
It's looking like we're going to need a whole bag of tricks and work on a case by case basis
678 posts
Hi to all,

I run into the same problem. Getting STEP-files from my customers, converting it with Polytrans to FBX and importing these files into Houdini 13.
I've tried anything I've read but nothing works for me. Any ideas? I have to deliver final picts monday - uff. I have a texture for the bump map but without any UVs that fits to my model there is no chance. All normals are OK!

Thanks for help

Detlef

Attachments:
problem.jpg (382.2 KB)

295 posts
Probably too late, but if you're wanting to get rid of the tris, then Moi3D is a great nurbs modeler that will read in STEP files and has really great obj format output, with quads.
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
35 posts
T splines would have been a good solution to solve the geometry conversion but autodesk snagged the patents pretty quick http://www.tsplines.com/ [tsplines.com]
  • Quick Links