Link maximum parameter value to a channel and cloth detail

2147   2   0
50 posts
Hello everyone. I hope you're all enjoying the new features in H14. I'm here today to ask for your help on two different questions.
The first one is pretty straightforward so here it goes.

I know that, when you're editing parameter interface you can link the default value to a specific channel of you're network, but can you do it with the maximum value of that parameter?
I mean, is there a way to limit a value by setting it's maximum by another value in your network.

Ok.. So for the second question today…. This is more of a “Can I do it in houdini” topic…
I came across this two amazing commercials by GlassWorks. Their workflow was all XSI based. Which i still believe, had the most decent procedural dynamic package existing in an Autodesk package… Anyway..
Take a look for yourselves:

https://vimeo.com/91422238 [vimeo.com]

https://vimeo.com/59736707 [vimeo.com]

So the question of the day is… Can I do it in houdini. Let me reprhase this. How can I do it with houdini? I would like your input to start playing around with this concept. The two things i'm interested here are the growing ice in the cloth strands and on the other hand the amazing “dynamic cloth strands” thing. I mean. It seems that you have control of the strand flow, yet they look to interact with each other, for example the part in wich tey tightnen the denim or when they're sewing it…
Can you point me in some sort of direction for this? Wire dynamics? Cloth? Particles for the ice?

Thank you all and keep inspired…
387 posts
I don't know if there is direct way to link the limits. If not try to submit RFE.

But you can use Callback Script to do your own limitation.

Look at attached otl (install that and then it is under Tab->EXAMPLE->Constrain Parameters Limits)

It's simple grid with Python Module and callbacks to single function on all parameters. That function reads sizex and sizey of the grid and limits rows and columns maximum values to those size values. So you cannot set more rows then size y of the grid.

For second question: in XSI there is Strand Framework and also LK Fabric plugin based on strands. Look at Art Of Raw making of, and also search for strand/fabric tutorials for XSI. But all that can be recreated in Houdini if you have patience. Curves, VOPs, Wrangles, and Wire dynamics when you have basic shape and need some movements with fibers…

BTW: Is there reason why .otlnc isn't allowed to attach to the post?

Attachments:
test_grid_SOP_v1.0.zip (4.7 KB)

50 posts
Thanks a lot pezetko

The callback script will definetly work for my needs. I'll still submit it to RFE as it seems something “easy” to implement and would be very handfull in some cases.

As for the art of raw thing, I've already seen the breakdown. Man it really loks nice. I've never touched XSI before and it doesn't seem to be a good time to do so.. (oh autodesk).. I work primarily with maya but i'm building up the transition to houdini. It seemed to be a good project to try to replicate. Oh well. Guess houdini is the best anyway.

If someone has any other suggestions regarding strands in houdini.. I'l be glad to hear about.
  • Quick Links