Hair in H14 (Speed & control issues)

3735   6   1
249 posts
So i have been playing with the new Hair tools. Lots of fun and really clever implementation. But when it comes to making something precise i run into two problems.

Speed and control.

It was advised in the demo videos to use multiple fur objects for different portions of hair. But I am finding it difficult to make strands overlap or just control one strand independently without affecting the others.

In essence what i am looking to do is some sort of on-the-fly masking, where i can select a strand and the new stroke SOP will only be able to control that strand. Is this possible right now, maybe i am missing something in the new selections options?

The other is speed/interactivity. Maybe it is my system and card which is pretty old and not brilliant, (GTX 670 4gb vram ).

I have seen it been mentioned that i should turn off realtime stroke but then i lose interactivity which is pretty essential.

Btw the settings at asset level update very fast though and the dynamics soo nice, amazingly smooth/interactive.

-andrew
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
1769 posts
you can press 4 and select the guides you want to groom, then choose a tool from the shelf (maybe you will need to ctrl+click)
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
249 posts
Thanks Daniel, i tried this but it is not working. Perhaps i am doing it wrong?

The guides will turn blueish with pre-highlighting, but the tool wont respect the selection.
249 posts
I tried out what you recommended. Still for me, the interactivity is still tough to deal with.

The old way combing simple normals for fur direction was blisteringly fast. And I hate using another app but blender for shaping complex styles is fast and precise.

Maybe the next iteration of this system will prove more usable for my needs, im sure they will prove me right and I'm sure others will find it perfectly fine to fit with their workflows.
4189 posts
Perhaps a variation on the ‘Proxy’ display will work better? Using it for Draw Hair is super fast.
15 posts
buki
you can press 4 and select the guides you want to groom, then choose a tool from the shelf (maybe you will need to ctrl+click)
the Screen brush more and more cards, stroke why records, you can delete the record and apply the brush?
  • Quick Links