Water drop running down surface (slowly)

3501   1   1
96 posts
So, I'm trying to get a single drop of water to run down a surface similar to a leaf (or think teflon covered pan or whatever). Meaning, it'll keep its shape to some degree, leave behind a small trail at most (that it drags with it) and the surface offers almost no resistance.

So far I've played with adding surface tension via a gas surface tension operator, with stick to surface, lowered gravity, viscosity… however, it'll just never look right. It'd be a nice start to get a simple drop sitting there, keeping its shape thanks to its surface tension and not wobble around. Which unfortunately it does a lot when I use the gas surface tension (drag helps a bit, bit it also makes it take forever to take its shape).

Any hints from anyone would be much appreciated!

(A drop like this for example… http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Water_drop_on_a_leaf.jpg [upload.wikimedia.org] )
96 posts
So, in case anyone wonders, I'll probably go with the approach to use FEM bodies for the drops and then merge their geometry into a single object, then VDB, then back to fluid surface. That way I'll get to fake the merging of drops at least.
  • Quick Links