How to aim copys to point and orient them to normal?

8222   2   1
3 posts
For a couple days i try to create a tool for some arcitecturial structures, or frames, like glass dome's, walls and things like that.
So, you need simple base mesh(geodesic sphere, or some grid plane), and some splines, or meshes. Meshes of nodes seats on points of base mesh, splines sweaped to enges of base mesh makes connections for node ellements.

The quastion is - how can i aim node meshes not only to normal of node point, but also to edge?.(Check Pic.1)

I tried different methods to copy meshes to base mesh. But, i got a big problem - orientation of copied meshes. After copy sop all meshes randomly rotated along edge, it mess up all of geometry. I'm need somehow aim this meshes to normals, AND to edges. (Check Pic.2)

May be i need to stamp inputs of copy, may be some thing else, i dont know. Please give me some advice, i alteady spent a lot of time with out result.

If you see some spells in this text, sorry i am russian:)

Attachments:
TryToAim.hipnc (112.0 KB)
Pic1.PNG (35.6 KB)
Pic2.PNG (69.1 KB)

1529 posts
I find myself sending this link every few months:

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=6679 [sidefx.com]

In this excellent post Wolfwood covers most everything that's needed to get this magic to happen.

G
3 posts
Thanks a lot!
It's a realy cool article. I think if some one wrote a lot like this one, about other sops it will be realt great.
BTW, solution for this problem is very simple, i just add UPvector to base geometry, and it's perfectly aimed as i want. I just scale base geo, and add point sop, put in first input original geo, in second scaled. And after that in second tab of point sop, i add upvector, with this param $TX2-$TX. And it solve my problem perfectly well.
  • Quick Links