Indie > Unity FBX Rig Import Issues

21603   29   4
52 posts
Thanks sjohn - something like that would never had occurred to me in a million years and it seems like a good learning exercise too - any excuse to jump into CHOPs!

Thanks!
22 posts
i was having issues with importing fbx skinned characters from houdini to unreal… at first the skinned character when i moved a joint became a mess (the character deformed fine in houdini), after trying many diferent things i found that if you append a capture distance sop before your capture sop, everything works fine, before adding the capture distance sop there were a lot of vertices weighting -1
140 posts
Since the last posting, there have been some changes to our FBX export implementation that will allow you to export FBX rigs to DOTA2, among other things. I can't speak to other packages as of yet, but one of the issues was that FBX was adding a lot of extra nodes that most importers didn't know what to do about, and throwing zero capture weight errors.

If anyone's still paying attention to this thread, please give it a whirl in UE4 and Unity.
678 posts
Thanks for update @stjohn.
52 posts
This is great news - thanks for the update stjohn.

I'm downloading the latest build as we speak - i'll test and report back.

Rigging in Max was making me very sad…
3 posts
stjohn,
how can I get access to this changes? are Houdini Indie entitled to download unreleased builds?

thanks
52 posts
Sorry to resurrect a dead post,

However, i just wanted to mention that my latest character rig, created and animated in Houdini Indie 15 imported into Unity 5 with no major issues!

This is great news for me and my little indie game dev pipeline!

Big thanks to the devs for working their magic, much appreciated!

I would now definitely recommend character rigging in Houdini for Unity 5.

Rick
3 posts

I was about not renewing my Indie license, but this gives a second though. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Can you post what settings you used and how you setup your nodes to make it work on Unity 5?

thanks a lot
99 posts
Yes great news! I'd also love to hear if there are any do's and don't for success with the rig and animation setup.
9 posts
@Benchboy

Do you still have use FBX for this workflow?

I ask becouse with Cinema4D you can just open .c4d files in unity, no fbx needed.
  • Quick Links