component selection question

3524   2   0
115 posts
I'm going through FIRST STEPS - Lesson 2 | UI & Modeling using H14.0.258 Indie, rather than 12 which is what the lesson is in.

I'm in component primitive mode (4 key) and Ari says hit the A key to select all the primitives, but in my set-up it does nothing.

Looking at the hot keys it says A is linked to “/Houdini/Panes/Groups/Select all”.

If I hit the N key then it says “Select All” in the viewport and does exactly whay it says, and the hotkey editor say N is linked to “/Houdini/Panes/Geometry Viewers/Modeling Viewer/Select All”

I'm confused to say the least,

hoping someone can clear this up for me,

cheers,

Andi.
Staff
4435 posts
The “a” hotkey in the viewport was re-purposed for selecting loops (loop selection was completely rewritten for H14, so if you see any older tutorials that talk about loop selection, go watch https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3023&Itemid=404 [sidefx.com] first). When you are in the Select Tool, at the bottom of the viewport there should be some text explaining that “a” can be used in conjunction with the LMB or MMB to select loops.

Because “a” is now used for selecting loops, the “select all geometry hotkey had to be changed to something else (”n“). If you right mouse click in the viewport you will get a menu that includes ”Select All Geometry“ and indicates that the hotkey is in fact ”n“.

As for the hotkey editor, it should also tell you that ”a“ is linked to:
/Houdini/Panes/Geometry Viewers/Modeling Viewer/Input Selectors/Select Loops
The first part of the hotkey string (”Houdini/Panes/Geometry Viewer“) tells you in which pane that meaning of the hotkey applies. So ”a“ still means ”select all“ if you are looking at a ”Groups" pane, but not if you are looking at a modeling viewport. Hopefully that clears up the confusion from the Hotkey editor dialog.

This kind of discrepancy often pops up when running through older tutorials on newer versions of the software as features and workflows are always evolving. Sorry for the confusion.

Mark
115 posts
Hi Mark,

thanks for the info, the version differences are making some online tutorials interesting, especially where particles are concerned, but It's getting the grey matter working.

I'm assuming some of the docs need updating? I'm thinking specifically:

/basics/select

cheers,

Andi.
  • Quick Links