disable cooking on file opening

4740   3   2
6 posts
Hi,
is there any way to disable the cooking of the digitalAssets in maya?
I have many otls loaded in my maya file, and every time I open it I see them cook something. And I'm trying to avoid that . The file is a rig that have to opened many times and by many people, so I'm trying to optimize/speed up things.
I've tried few things in maya, without luck. Any ideas?
Otherwise I guess it has to be solved in the Houdini side.

/side note. I'm stuck with an old version of the plugin, not sure if in the latest there is anything about this.

thanks
Alberto
818 posts
Not at the moment. The cooked geometry is not kept (cached) from the previous session. So the geometry has to be re-cooked when the file is opened. This is the same effect as having construction history in regular Maya sessions. I'm guessing you still want the asset to cook when the upstream changes? Otherwise, you could just do a delete history, or cache it.
Andrew / アンドリュー
6 posts
Hi Andrew,
thanks for the info.
For the moment I'm doing something inside the otl. I simply put 2 switchs, one for the geo and another one for the points, so by default the otl create only 1 cube and 1 point, so I can switch on the heavy part of the calculations only when I need. Easy and good enough for now.

cheers
300 posts
I would also really like this, it would save a tremendous amount of cooking, as well as make it possible to mark things as “final”

that no matter whether a tool gets update that house/tree/road whatever stays exactly like it is.

imho this is a vital tool to enable using it in big worlds and large productions.
  • Quick Links