Popsprite (Sprite Particles) hanging Houdini

2715   5   0
28 posts
I can't use popsprite function with particles because it cousing spinning wheel and requires force quit. Any ideas on why?

I'm on Houdini Apprentice, MBP i7, 8GB memory, GT650M.

Just to add, Im using very basic geo with low amount of particles.
Staff
5161 posts
This is unfortunately what happens when Apple's OpenGL driver drops to software rendering in order to complete a draw call. Sometimes this software render completes in a reasonable time, other times it takes so long that Houdini appears to hang.

Have you tried a recent Houdini build? Are you running OSX 10.10.2 or .3?
28 posts
twod
This is unfortunately what happens when Apple's OpenGL driver drops to software rendering in order to complete a draw call. Sometimes this software render completes in a reasonable time, other times it takes so long that Houdini appears to hang.

Have you tried a recent Houdini build? Are you running OSX 10.10.2 or .3?

I´m running 10.10.3 and latest daily build. Same problem.
4189 posts
All fine on the Gtx980, no slow downs.

H14.0.292, OsX 10.10.2, 346.01.01f01
Staff
5161 posts
It's probably related to the discrete vs. mobile driver. I don't know why, but Apple's OpenGL implementation seems a whole lot worse with mobile GPUs (eg. GT650M) than discrete GPUs (GEForce 980). I'll pass this along to a developer with a GT650M to see if he can reproduce it and perhaps come up with a workaround.
28 posts
twod
It's probably related to the discrete vs. mobile driver. I don't know why, but Apple's OpenGL implementation seems a whole lot worse with mobile GPUs (eg. GT650M) than discrete GPUs (GEForce 980). I'll pass this along to a developer with a GT650M to see if he can reproduce it and perhaps come up with a workaround.

That would be wicked. Thank you
  • Quick Links