Rendering images into exr

6026   4   1
4 posts
Hello, I have noticed that when rendering images into jpg and exr there are differences in brightness. It appears that jpg/png renders display what render view/mplay shows while exr renders are little bit darker. This is mostly visible in the very dark areas.

I do think I understand linear workflow and I am setting gamma correction on the mantra node to 2.2 when rendering to jpg. Is this intended behaviour or am I missing something? How do I correct this or how do I preview the actual exr render in a render view?

I have attached 2 pictures, one rendered to jpg and second to exr and then written out to jpg from Nuke.

Thanks

Attachments:
jpegrender.jpeg (71.4 KB)
exrrender.jpeg (83.1 KB)

1391 posts
I think you can't compare exr and jpg result in render , because exr render images in 32bit while jpg renders them in 8bit (or PNG is 16bit) .

my meant is exr is High Dynamic Range , But RGB value in jpg is between 0 to 1.

to test it just render same project to exr and jpg in mplay , then press "i" key and check RGB value in white places in the rendered image.
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
4 posts
But if exr has a higher bit depth, it should be capable of displaying the same colors jpg does, right? Mplay does not seem to care about the output format, and displays renders the same way - looking like the sRBG renders such as jpgs or pngs.

I suppose you can color correct the exr to look like the render view image but surely that is not the standard workflow?
2624 posts
The difference is because you view your render in mplay with a gamma of 2.2 . When you render to disk the image is linear.
Next jpg is an 8bit image , .exr is a float and either 16 bit or 32 bit, which of course will give you a wider range of colour.
Gone fishing
4 posts
Well I tried to render out 16bit png with 2.2 gamma correction and 16 bit exr with no gamma correction and then loaded them into Nuke as sRGB and linear images and there still were differences.

It is impossible to see in brighter areas but very pronounced in the dark areas
  • Quick Links