vopsop absence... no tutorial to show alternative approach

3651   4   0
10 posts
hi,
i am new to houdini… as i was trying my hands at vopsop found it is no more available in h14 indie. This makes many tutorials like this one https://vimeo.com/95644892 [vimeo.com] and many other on youtube and vimeo redundant.

anyone out here on this forum, kindly suggest how a beginner like me should experiment with particles with such obsolete tutorials. Now that vopsop is gone, what approach should i take to make effects like the one shown in the link. Should i use attributevop instead and how to? no tutorials as of now… video/html to show new approach which houdini14 expects.
304 posts
Attribute VOP with a few little differences (such as SetAttribute instead of “Add point to group”, etc…)works almost just like any old VOPSOP.
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
10 posts
Yes… thanks for the help.
I have been replicating (and understanding somewhat) effects of a few such tutorials with attributevop instead of vopsop.

However, with the limited knowledge of mine regarding this software, i fail to understand how setattribute will help me in case I need one in future. say, for example can i plug in Cd in setattribute instead of geometryvopoutput.

As i am going through some of the msgs in this forum, I am finding guys asking to use bind/setattribute and likewise. Can you help me understand with some examples what these are (or where can i find suitable tutorials or how can i explore the subject).
4189 posts
Neeraj
anyone out here on this forum, kindly suggest how a beginner like me should experiment with particles with such obsolete tutorials. Now that vopsop is gone, what approach should i take to make effects like the one shown in the link.

I would suggest downloading Houdini 13 to run the older tutorials correctly, or if a little more confident, unhide VopSop in H14 with ‘opunhide Sop vopsop’ command in the Textport. Note: As VopSop is now hidden it could still work properly but is not being officially supported anymore.

Edited: spellcheck
Edited by - May 26, 2015 12:57:25
10 posts
Thanks unhiding vopsop is working with the command…
But noway…. won't go back to h13. Now that vopsop is a history, being a beginner, let me experiment with wranglers and vex; even if it takes time to explore, i hope shall be good for me in the long run.

However I do feel houdini has been a little unkind to people like us who are new to this software. They should have allowed a little time for masters to enlighten beginners with appropriate tutorials before making the newer methods mandatory.

Also a word of advice for beginners… experiment with apprentice version first, for months and years and don't get tempted to buy h14 indie version as I did.
  • Quick Links