Houdini Engine support for Maya 2016

6519   8   0
7 posts
When will there be Houdini Engine support for Maya 2016? Also will there be a Renderman plugin for Houdini?
818 posts
ReddMann7
When will there be Houdini Engine support for Maya 2016?

No Maya 2016 builds yet, because we still haven't gotten our hands on Maya 2016 yet.

ReddMann7
Also will there be a Renderman plugin for Houdini?

We don't have plans to make a Renderman plugin at the moment. However, since the Engine API is publicly available though, anyone could develop the plugin.
Andrew / アンドリュー
818 posts
I've added Maya 2016 support, and the Maya 2016 plugin should be available starting with Sunday's build (14.0.357). We've done some testing, and it seems to work fine. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any new library conflicts so far. We'll keep doing some more testing. Feel free to give it a try!
Andrew / アンドリュー
1799 posts
awesome thank you!
-G
9 posts
I'm running into the same problem with 2016 as was discussed here (and I tried all the solutions to no avail): https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=38166 [sidefx.com]
818 posts
Trent Polack
I'm running into the same problem with 2016 as was discussed here (and I tried all the solutions to no avail): https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=38166 [sidefx.com]

Are you now getting the error “The specified module could not be found” ? If so, have you tried putting the Houdini's bin directory at the beginning of the PATH environment? You could do this in MEL before loading the plugin:
putenv PATH (“CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 14.0.365/bin; ” + `getenv PATH`)
Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
awong
Trent Polack

Are you now getting the error “The specified module could not be found” ? If so, have you tried putting the Houdini's bin directory at the beginning of the PATH environment? You could do this in MEL before loading the plugin:
putenv PATH (“CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 14.0.365/bin; ” + `getenv PATH`)
Still getting this:

putenv PATH (“CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 14.0.365/bin; ” + `getenv PATH`);
// 0 //
// Error: line 1: Unable to dynamically load : CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 14.0.362/engine/maya/maya2016/plug-ins/houdiniEngine.mll
The specified procedure could not be found.
//
// Error: line 1: The specified procedure could not be found.
(houdiniEngine) //
818 posts
The path that I wrote was for 14.0.365 environment. Since it looks like you're using 14.0.362, you should try:
putenv PATH (“CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 14.0.362/bin; ” + `getenv PATH`);
Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
awong
The path that I wrote was for 14.0.365 environment. Since it looks like you're using 14.0.362, you should try:
putenv PATH (“CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 14.0.362/bin; ” + `getenv PATH`);
Oh, hurr. It's early.

Anyway, that worked, so I just updated my system path and put houdini at the beginning and all seems fine now! Woo-hoo! Thanks.
  • Quick Links