Maya locator as input?

4810   3   2
29 posts
Are there any plans to a add Maya locators as an input?
I have a fracturing asset and my plan is to allow the user to place however many locators they want as impact points.
Currently I'm using vertex color so they can paint impact points but that is still random and requires that there be verts at that location. I want them to be able to place exact fracture points.
818 posts
This was actually some interests in having locators support a long while back. When I have a chance, I can look into what's involved, but I suspect the work involved will take me a while.

Maybe another way to achieve this is to use a multi parm that contains a list of vector parm. Then, on the Maya side, you can use a script to create a locator and connect it to the multiparm. On the Houdini side, maybe you can use the Add SOP to turn the multi parm into points. i.e. promote the multi parm from the Add SOP
Andrew / アンドリュー
8525 posts
or let them draw a curve in maya, plug it in, then just take that curve's points as voronoi points?
they can always adjust the number and position of points in maya if they want

didn't test if maya curves are valid geo input for assets, but you can in theory use any object whose points would serve as voronoi points
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
818 posts
tamte
or let them draw a curve in maya, plug it in, then just take that curve's points as voronoi points?
they can always adjust the number and position of points in maya if they want

didn't test if maya curves are valid geo input for assets, but you can in theory use any object whose points would serve as voronoi points

Yup, this could work too. Curve is a valid input geometry.
Particles can also be used as input geometry, but there's no good tools to modify existing particles.
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links