How to export a character and skeleton to Unreal 4 by fbx?

8357   8   1
13 posts
I need help! I am a little new at using Houdini Indie and I followed the biped auto tutorial and built a awesome character. But can someone show me the steps I need to follow to get the bones information to show up in Unreal Engine 4.9.1? I get his error every time in Unreal… :?
Edited by - Sept. 28, 2015 12:09:27

Attachments:
FBX Error Import.jpg (71.2 KB)

13 posts
Hey guys can someone please help me out with my problem? I searched a lot of places for a solution but nothing demonstrating how the process is done.
2 posts
I'm also interested it this. I'm investigating Houdini as my primary software for 3D asset creation. Character rigging and animation workflow into Unreal is very important to me
13 posts
I think more of us newer Indie owners need to request a solution for this issue or this topic will just get lost. All we need is a solution.
2 posts
Hey Fivewing. I'm not an owner yet, that's hinging on whether I can get characters from Houdini to Unreal. My next best option is MayaLT for a program that can cover all 3D asset creation but I'm trying my best to avoid Autodesk.
32 posts
Try importing into UE4 64bit houdini engine plug-in, embed cached animations, and compatible bone/joint naming exported into .hda (.otl) skinned mesh.

Well I know it's hit or miss in Unity5 this way for sure.
Houdini Indie 15.5.547
NVidia GeForce GT 650M-1GB-GDDR5 OGL 4.1_OCL 1.2
MacBook Pro Retina 15.4"_OSX 10.11.6_Intel Quad i7 @ 2.3GHz x8(Auto-Overclock 3.3GHz Turbo Boost)_16GB-1600MHz DDR3L_256GB-SSD
Magic Mouse2
13 posts
Fretless
Hey Fivewing. I'm not an owner yet, that's hinging on whether I can get characters from Houdini to Unreal. My next best option is MayaLT for a program that can cover all 3D asset creation but I'm trying my best to avoid Autodesk.

I understand that and I do enjoy using it over Maya LT but this is a issue that would make game developers feel like Side Effects Software isn't the right option for character designers. I know that Houdini Indie is still new but it needs more support for game development outside Houdini Engine and I can only hope that Houdini FX 15 will have a solution since currently not one person can give us a step by step solution.

I know the Houdini creates IK's different than Maya like other 3D packages but exporting a skinned mesh and its skeleton through FBX should be just as easy as Maya, Max, Modo ect.
Edited by - Oct. 2, 2015 12:10:09
13 posts
kwiknip .
Try importing into UE4 64bit houdini engine plug-in, embed cached animations, and compatible bone/joint naming exported into .hda (.otl) skinned mesh.

Well I know it's hit or miss in Unity5 this way for sure.

I would try it! If you know a tutorial is available could you please paste a link to it?
13 posts
I found a great solution for this issue at Digital-Tutors! The tutorial is “Utilizing the Auto Rig and Muscle System Tools in Houdini” http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1631-Utilizing-the-Auto-Rig-and-Muscle-System-Tools-in-Houdini [digitaltutors.com]

This gave me the proper solution to my problem which was
baking out the muscle capture and painted weights, afterwards I was able to import the skeleton into Unreal Engine 4 without any problems!

I hope this helps other Houdini Indie devs in the future!

I used the old tutorials for rigging on this site and even though they give you a idea on how to use the Auto Rig I recommend Digital-Tutors because its more up to date and detailed.
  • Quick Links