Is gtx 960m 2gbRAM good enough for Houdini Animation render?

2929   3   2
11 posts
I am currently suffering from rendering animated work from Houdini. I constantly receive “OpenGL Fatal Error” message when I click mantra rendering. I am currently using XPS17 L702x laptop with 1GB graphics card.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem and will a new laptop to solve this?

Or can I transfer my animation into a different software (ie : cinema 4d/ Maya) so that I could still render an animation without having upgrading my laptop into 3GB graphics card?

Attachments:
houdini-question.JPG (218.2 KB)

94 posts
paris macadama
I am currently suffering from rendering animated work from Houdini. I constantly receive “OpenGL Fatal Error” message when I click mantra rendering. I am currently using XPS17 L702x laptop with 1GB graphics card.

Or can I transfer my animation into a different software (ie : cinema 4d/ Maya) so that I could still render an animation without having upgrading my laptop into 3GB graphics card?

You should first ensure, that your laptop has no optimus/minimus, WTH that “automatic” switching of onboard/onchip and dedicated graphics is called. That seems to never work.
Second I'd suggest to upgrade your NVIDIA drivers. It should run then.

Also have a look in “Houdini Menu” ->Help ->About Houdini and then click on “Show details”. That should help you narrow your search.

I am torturing my Laptop with a GTX850M/2GB all day long, so should be it in your case too.

HTH
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
11 posts
WhoDjini
paris macadama

You should first ensure, that your laptop has no optimus/minimus, WTH that “automatic” switching of onboard/onchip and dedicated graphics is called. That seems to never work.
Second I'd suggest to upgrade your NVIDIA drivers. It should run then.

Also have a look in “Houdini Menu” ->Help ->About Houdini and then click on “Show details”. That should help you narrow your search.

I am torturing my Laptop with a GTX850M/2GB all day long, so should be it in your case too.

HTH

Thanks for your suggestion and I am trying to work on it now. May I know how can I do this? “ no optimus/minimus, WTH that ”automatic“ switching of onboard/onchip and dedicated graphics is called” Where can I set optimus / minimus and switch of the automatic onboard/onchip?
94 posts
Open your NVIDIA control panel and under global settings set preferred graphics controller to your NVIDIA. That should do it.
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
  • Quick Links