OctaneRender for Houdini plugin beta released

34774   55   4
36 posts
Yes, this one is working. Thank you. Let me know please about the IPR on OS X progress. Thanks a lot again…
36 posts
Working in therms that I was able to create octane render node. A lot of things makes my Houdini to hang onto the beachball. Simple scene - imported low rez mesh, created octane vopnet and diffuse material applyied to this obj. Created render targert and camera. Trying to render to mplay = Houdini hang, beachball, neverending. I saw this also when trying to use texture as environemnt instead the daylight. So in my case - octane render demo = absolutelly unusable on OS X. Mabe on different platforms it runs well, but on 10.11.1 with latest production built Houdini it is a disaster. And I was so looking forward to it…
83 posts
This is also the plugin demo version for Linux, built for the last production releases.
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads/0e/41/e8/bd/Octane_2.24.2.0_Houdini_Linux_DEMO.zip [render.otoy.com]

-Juanjo
Computer Graphics Software Developer
83 posts
Francoise
Working in therms that I was able to create octane render node. A lot of things makes my Houdini to hang onto the beachball. Simple scene - imported low rez mesh, created octane vopnet and diffuse material applyied to this obj. Created render targert and camera. Trying to render to mplay = Houdini hang, beachball, neverending. I saw this also when trying to use texture as environemnt instead the daylight. So in my case - octane render demo = absolutelly unusable on OS X. Mabe on different platforms it runs well, but on 10.11.1 with latest production built Houdini it is a disaster. And I was so looking forward to it…

Weird, here in my system with 10.10 the plugin pass all my unit tests, and I have not seen this kind o problems. Anyway I need to test the plugin in deep under 10.11.

Do you know if the Standalone or other Octane plugins are working fine in your computer? … to be honest, few people is testing the plugin under OSX (I suppose that currently the lack of Macs with NVIDIA GPUs is one of the issues with Octane and OSX), so I don't have a lot of reports about the OSX problems.

If you have some free time to make some tests, report to me the scenes with problems, the logs after the crashes and so on, I will be happy trying to fix the plugin OSX issues. Remember that the plugin is currently in beta

-Juanjo

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 18.46.52.jpg (199.8 KB)

36 posts
Hello Juan, I tried now your Octane Linux demo, but I am getting the same error as before with the OS X version before you compiled it again. So correctly setup houdini.env to my folder, in Houdini in the menu I click Create Render Node Octane a bang - the error window jumps right at me. I am on CentOS 7 with latest production build of Houdini 15.0.244.16. Can you please check it if the Linux version you posted few days ago is really working for you? I am now deciding to switch from OS X to CentOS due to Octane, but unfortunatelly your demo is not working. Let me know please. Thanks…
83 posts
Francoise
Hello Juan, I tried now your Octane Linux demo, but I am getting the same error as before with the OS X version before you compiled it again. So correctly setup houdini.env to my folder, in Houdini in the menu I click Create Render Node Octane a bang - the error window jumps right at me. I am on CentOS 7 with latest production build of Houdini 15.0.244.16. Can you please check it if the Linux version you posted few days ago is really working for you? I am now deciding to switch from OS X to CentOS due to Octane, but unfortunatelly your demo is not working. Let me know please. Thanks…

Sure. I think that I had checked the demo build before upload it, but I will test it again tomorrow as soon as I arrive to my office. Is the Octane ROP node working, or you get also an error after adding it? … the Linux version should work without problems, a lot of users are working with it.

-Juanjo
36 posts
Just as I wrote, I can't add the Octane ROP under Linux. When I hit in the menu Create render node - Octane I get immediatelly the error window which looks the same as the error on MAC OS X I wrote few days ago. Then you recompiled the Mac version and it worked. Now it seems it is the same problem on CentOS 7 a latest prod. build of Houdini.
83 posts
I am testing in Ubuntu 14.04 the demo version for Linux and it works fine with all my unit tests. I am using the 2.24.2.0 plugin for H15.0.244 (of course over the Houdini 15.0.244.16 version), extracted from the file posted few days ago:
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads/0e/41/e8/bd/Octane_2.24.2.0_Houdini_Linux_DEMO.zip [render.otoy.com]

As far I know, the plugin should work on CentOS 7 without problems. Do you know if the Standalone is working fine in your Linux workstation?

-Juanjo

Attachments:
Screenshot.jpg (492.3 KB)

832 posts
We have Octane working just fine with CENTOS 7.
36 posts
Didin't test the standalone, I will try.
36 posts
So the Standalone version is working OK. The Houdini version gets me this error when trying to create render node from menu:

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2015-11-30 11_45_03.png (42.8 KB)

83 posts
Weird. If you can see the shelf icons it is sure that Houdini can find the plugin folder, so the problem is not in the houdini.env file … but it can't load the plugin.

What can you see in the plugin “about” window?

-Juanjo
36 posts
The about window I will check after boot again to Linux, now I'm on Mac. But strange is that there is no option visible in the network view / out = I can't add the octane render node via TAB key - there is no octane listed. It is listed only in top menu but there is giving me the error window. Ufff
36 posts
So this is my About Houdini:

Attachments:
Houdini_Info.txt (10.7 KB)

83 posts
Francoise
The about window I will check after boot again to Linux, now I'm on Mac. But strange is that there is no option visible in the network view / out = I can't add the octane render node via TAB key - there is no octane listed. It is listed only in top menu but there is giving me the error window. Ufff

This is the same problem, you don't have the Octane ROP in /out because the plugin is not loaded. Are you sure that you have installed the H15.0.224 plugin version?

Anyway I am going to install a fresh Centos 7 here to test the plugin in the same system that you have. At least in Ubuntu it works fine.

-Juanjo
83 posts
Francoise
So this is my About Houdini:

I was asking for the plugin about window

-Juanjo

Attachments:
image000960.jpg (63.7 KB)
image000959.jpg (37.4 KB)

36 posts
The plugin window does nothing. After click on that I get nothing - no window…
83 posts
Can you please add this line to the houdini.env file to see if we get any error when Houdini loads the plugin?

HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2

-Juanjo
83 posts
And other test, only to be sure, this is a build compiled for CentOS 6.7 using the glibc 1.12 version. Can you please test it?
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads/7e/26/26/c2/Octane_2.24.2.0_Houdini_Linux_glibc2.12_DEMO.zip [render.otoy.com]

-Juanjo
36 posts
So this test version of demo is also not working, the same error. In terminal after launchim of Houdini it gets me this:
Houdini DSO error on ‘/home/teri/Desktop/new octane/Octane_2.24.2.0_Houdini_Linux_glibc2.12_DEMO/Octane_2.24.2.0_Houdini_15.0.244_Linux_gcc4.8/dso/Houdini_Octane_15.0.244.so’
libglut.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
  • Quick Links