Any tip on speeding up caching a longer sim?

2472   2   1
32 posts
My computer sometimes hangs in the middle of a caching session so I ended up around 50 frames saved out of 100. Now I want to cache the rest I would change my frame range rendering from frame 51…..etc. but then still need to wait for hours for computer to get to frame 50 and start caching.

I understand the sim needs to accumulate the volume first but is there anyway to speed up cashing time if I have previous cache ready?

If there is no other way, would you recommend any thing would help when caching? Like to turn off this or that kind of thing?

Thanks!
51 posts
You have two way for caching a simulation. first cache the sim data which dopnetwork can use it later which can be done in Output node inside dopnetwork itself.

Or cache the result of simulation like objects or fluids. I usually don't use sim cache except I need initial state for simulation. if you have your 50 frames sim files you can load your frame 50th at your dopnetwork node as initial state and do your sim from there with diffrenet location to prevent overwrite.

But my advice is cache your result out of dopnetwork with a rop_geometry node and it is better to deactivate cache simulation button on dopnetwork.
after setup your dop and rop_geometry you can save and close houdini and use houdini commandline and navigate to your scene location. so by hbatch command you can open your scene and navigate again true your hip to your rop_geometry location. after this, the code will works fine:
render -V -f 1 100 1 rop_geometry
2 x Xeon E5-2670 - 64 GB DDR3 RAM - Nvidia GTX 960 - Win 10 64x
32 posts
Thanks, mosssi!

The concept you are giving me would really improve my caching efficiency but I have no idea how to operate Houdini with command line yet. Sounds like another level of things, haha. Would that be more of a studio pipeline setup for it to work? Or I can do that at home computer as well?

Hope I will get there someday
  • Quick Links