align SOP - multiple copies

3891   5   1
201 posts
Can you align a group of primitives onto multiple aux. inputs?

For simplicity, I want to take a polygonal sphere and paste 10 copies of it onto a polygonal cylinder. I pumped in the primitive numbers from cylinder into the “Align To” parameter. It seems that the align SOP only deals with one input. Is this correct? Is there a way to loop an action like this in SOPs?!
Cheers,
Rob
Digital Supervisor | Stargate Studios Toronto
639 posts
Well, you can actually have more than one primitive append into your 2nd input of the Align SOP. What you'd have to do is make sure that all your primitive is going into a Merge SOP first and then append into the Align SOP. However, since Align SOP align your target geometry via UV , you can only align it to one set of UV at a time. So, even if you have multiple geometry to be aligned to, you can only do it one set at a time. Hence even if you have multiple primitive number specified in your Align To field, only the first number is taken into consideration, I believe.

If you want something with a little more control, you could look into the primuv() that might help you get what you're looking for, perhaps? primuv() should allow you to perform the same function as Align SOP, but with certain flexibility.

Hope this helped.
Alex
212 posts
you could try to do some stamping via the copySOP. I'll try to find a demo and post it.
hold on.
-k
201 posts
thekenny
you could try to do some stamping via the copySOP. I'll try to find a demo and post it.
hold on.
-k

Thanks but I got it to work using the copy SOP with stamping.
Cheers,
Rob
639 posts
Heheh. I must have misunderstand your first question again.. THat happend to me quite often.. ops:
201 posts
TheUsualAlex
Heheh. I must have misunderstand your first question again.. THat happend to me quite often.. ops:

I think you understood it correctly & I thank you for your reply. This thread just shows how one can achieve results more than one way in Houdini. Sometimes that's good, other times …

Cheers,
Rob
Cheers,
Rob
  • Quick Links