Problem with Lesson 3 Custom Shaders (Lights, Shade Render)

1186   0   0
1 posts
Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to Houdini, but have completed the entire lesson plan in the First Steps course, while noting down the slight differences between the version of Houdini FX used in the tutorials along with my own.

Ari Danesh seems to be using Houdini 12, while I'm using Houdini 15.

Now, for the most part, the differences that had gotten in the way of proceeding through the tutorial have been minor.

It was within the Lights, Shade, Render lessons that I started to brush up against a wall. Even the scene files won't help.

In the tutorial, we're taught to build custom shaders, and save a material tester as a digital asset. I've followed the tutorial, note for note, pausing and rewatching to ensure that everything was done properly. However, my results consistently vary from Ari Danesh's.

Mainly that none of my textures render out.

The checkerboard, leaf and snail patterns don't render out. Nothing done within the Vop networks render out. Even when the scene files are opened and rendered, nothing renders out (which, admittedly feels good because I assume that the problem isn't me)

Anyway, it's difficult for me to continue, because I can't produce results. And if I can't produce results within my own version of Houdini, then what I'm learning might be useful, but I can't gain any feedback on what it actually does. Yeah, I understand it in the abstract, but I can't see a point in reproducing a technique in the future that, for lack of a better word, won't do anything.

I'm assuming that this is a problem that's been encountered before, so if anyone could possibly help me out or has any advice, I'm more than willing to listen closely.

Below are my results.

It burns
  • Quick Links