Handle bottom side of FLIP sims (beach scene)

1615   0   0
10 posts
Hey everybody,

my goal is to create a FLIP simulation of ocean waves on a beach. I tweaked the default beach tank setup which works pretty well. What confuses me is the bottom side of the FLIP fluid, here's what's happening using the default approach that I find everywhere:

- the fluid mesher creates a mesh around the FLIP simulation. The result is a mesh that is pretty bumpy on the bottom side or at least never follows exactly the shape of the ocean bottom (unless you increase the resolution ridiculously high I guess). In the rendering I can see ‘bubble’ like shapes through the transparent ocean which result from the refraction between the bottom side of the mesh and the actual ocean bottom geometry. I solved this by deleting all of the mesh except the real upper surface, but I'm surprised that keeping the complete mesh seems to be the standard way…

- the Whitewater Source generates source particles potentially everywhere within the FLIP fluid. Since particles collide with the ocean bottom and accelerate, a lot of particles are generated near the ground. Since these particles are near the mesh surface (not really the ocean surface since it's at the bottom of the mesh) they are treated as foam from what I see (bubbles are deactivated). Moreover these particles are created in big clumps that move through the water and look weird…

Is there a basic mistake that I make, something I don't see? There are many ways of filtering these unwanted points, but since I've seen amazing beach sims and never read anything about handling the bottom particles I wonder if there's something wrong with my approach…

Cheers, Dan
  • Quick Links