Show textures in Maya

4048   5   2
193 posts
Hi, I am supposed do a little test of my 3D modeling abilities for some class I am taking.

The instructions say to render the scene in Maya (meh). I've never bothered to learn Maya before; so i figured it would be a good time to try houdini engine for maya.

I was trying to figure out the texture workflow for HDA's, so i downloaded the HauntedDoors asset from the SideFX website. It has textures stored in in the .hda file.

(which i could still use some direction on that workflow)

Unfortunately when i loaded the hda in Maya, i see no textures. ::sadface::

I know NOTHING about using Maya, so i randomly tried clicking “hardware textures.” that shows something, but the textures look horribly wrong. it kind of looks like it is just loading one texture for the whole object (it looks like the door texture is being applied to the wall) , and it looks all washed out.

HELLP!!

Attachments:
HauntedDoors.hda (719.1 KB)

761 posts
I don't know if textures translate to Maya via HDA; you may want to learn some Maya if you plan on working between both programs.
【T】【C】【S】
818 posts
Texture can indeed be outputted from the asset into Maya. The problem with the HauntedDoors asset is that the “WallSlice” object uses multiple Houdini materials. The Maya plugin doesn't support multiple Houdini materials on one object yet. So all the faces are assumed to be using the same material. The workaround is to split up the geometry by material, so that each object only has one material assigned.

The limitation only applies if the materials are outputted from the asset. If a Maya geometry that originally has multiple materials is inputted into Houdini, the materials are preserved when the geometry is outputted from the asset back into Maya.
Andrew / アンドリュー
193 posts
oh, ok, i was afraid of that. Well, i don't really care about working in Maya all that much, it's just that was the assignment.

The class mainly is about designing levels in Unreal, and the assets I made (as well as the HauntedDoors asset, of course) came into Unreal just fine.

As for splitting the materials by object, are you saying that I can only have one material per digital asset? or are you saying that I can have multiple materials if, say I have a procedural lamp (for instance), I would keep the lampshade and the lamp base each in a separate geometry container, and then collapse that and make a digital asset, i could have different material on each one?

thanks.
818 posts
One asset can have multiple materials. Like you said, the asset would have to have multiple geometry containers, each using a different material. One geometry container for the lamp shade, which uses one material. And another geometry container for the lamp base, which uses another material.
Andrew / アンドリュー
193 posts
はい、 ありがとうございます アンドリュー先輩!
Edited by twelveplusplus - Sept. 6, 2016 23:14:12
  • Quick Links