Which attribute types are supported?

2855   2   1
453 posts
1. Which attribute types are supported in Houdini Engine for Maya, so that Maya recognizes the attributes?2
2. Can I create custom attributes on my geo that Maya would recognize? (How would I achieve that?)
3. Can I somehow preserve groups without separating the geometry? This would be equivalent to Maya selection sets. Could I create those from within Houdini Engine?

- To 1.: I'm pretty sure, P,N and Cd are supported. Are there more?

Thank you!
818 posts
DASD
1. Which attribute types are supported in Houdini Engine for Maya, so that Maya recognizes the attributes?
For meshes, besides the ones you mentioned, uv attributes are also recognized.

DASD
2. Can I create custom attributes on my geo that Maya would recognize? (How would I achieve that?)
Yes, assets can output geometries with custom (detail, primitive, point, and vertex) attributes. You shouldn't have to do anything special for outputting them into Maya. Any attributes that are not recognized will be outputted to the Maya shape node (i.e. mesh and nParticle node) as Maya attributes, under the “Extra Attributes” folder. Float, int, and string type attributes are all supported.

DASD
3. Can I somehow preserve groups without separating the geometry? This would be equivalent to Maya selection sets. Could I create those from within Houdini Engine?
Yes, primitive and point groups are supported. If the asset outputs geometries that contain Houdini groups, the groups should be created as Maya sets. This should also happen automatically.

And to avoid separating the geometry, you'd have to ensure the “Split Geos By Group” option is off. Since the plugin started supporting Maya sets, this option should be off by default in recent versions. So make sure you're using a recent build of the plugin.
Andrew / アンドリュー
453 posts
Thank you!
  • Quick Links