First Work with Houdini Indie - License Downgraded?

2925   2   0
13 posts
This morning I was working through viewport navigation, and to give me something to navigate around I created a sphere and ground plane, caused the sphere to emit fluid onto that ground plane, and all worked well in terms of emission and spread…I then rendered region a couple of times, and Indie gave me a popup window indicating that my “License has been downgraded” and telling me to restart.

Since I only licensed yesterday, is this just a teething problem? Is there something I need to do to keep this from happening?

I've had some very annoying experiences with some licensing schemes (life sometimes seems easier for the pirates!) so I want to make sure this isn't something that's going to hit me every X days or something.

EDIT: It looks like I have TWO applications on my machine - Indie and FX with the same version number…could I have picked the wrong one? If so, would it run for a while THEN downgrade? Sorry for all the questions, but one more: Can I UNINSTALL the FX version, or is that tied to my Indie license?

Thanks,
JT
Edited by phloog - Jan. 13, 2017 07:17:13
2556 posts
Yes, make sure you are launching Houdini Indie icon.

If you have created a HIP file using Apprentice prior to Indie licensing, loading it into Indie will downgrade the license back to non-commercial. Conceptually, the HIP file contains the license from the application that built the file. Also copy/paste nodes from an Apprentice HIP into an Indie HIP will also downgrade the license. The nodes themselves know where they were originally created and adjust the license to match.

If you are using an HDA or OTL that was authored in Apprentice, your license will be downgraded as well.

If you have a file that you created using Apprentice you can contact support and they will convert it to a non-apprentice version that will work with your Indie license.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7737 posts
You can convert your Apprentice file to Indie using this:

https://www.orbolt.com/upgrade-houdini-files [orbolt.com]
  • Quick Links