ZBrush to Houdini Vector Displacement Workflow? Having trouble getting 7mil poly details onto 100k, renders and settings attached

3756   3   3
20 posts
Workflow for this sample mesh is as follows:
  • Create dynamesh, subdivide to 2 mil points
  • Apply variety of alphas to mesh
  • ZRemesh to 8k poly, subdivide to 7 mil, project details
  • Use UV Master
  • Create vector displacement with attached settings, base mesh is around 100k
What am I missing here? Was able to get blackpixel's example working just fine: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/46764/#post-211000 [sidefx.com]

Should I try Mudbox?

Renders and settings:

7 mil poly

100k with vector displacement

7 mil poly

7 mil poly

Edited by axalon - March 6, 2017 14:49:45
1755 posts
I've recently tried again a few tests and obtained bad results, even with the ‘42’ setting in Zb.
For someone that's inexperienced with Mantra settings/shading the issue seems to have no solution in sight.

If someone is willing to help with a .hip file, if they get good results, I've attached a piece of test geometry with an .exr vector map.
At this point I want to see if it's a matter of bad Houdini settings or bad Zbrush map extraction settings on my part.

One question for now: does Mantra make smooth UVs when it subdivides geometry?
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - June 2, 2017 04:19:44

Attachments:
zbrush_screen.jpg (50.0 KB)
test_McNistor.rar (4.5 MB)
houdini_displace_test.jpg (111.6 KB)

1755 posts
@axalon I think you have to keep Subdiv level to your lowest (usually 1) that you've exported as .obj
Also, the vd_SUV (smooth uvs) might have to be unchecked. We'll have to wait until someone knowledgeable elucidates us on the matter.
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - June 2, 2017 09:42:35

Attachments:
stpuXwR.jpg (81.8 KB)

1755 posts
@axalon

Hmm, after a few more tests and looks at this thread, I think your problem is lack of detail. Increase shading quality for your object from the default ‘1’ to 2 or more to see if it helps.

For me, it seems that no matter what I do I get that faceted result, smooth or no smooth UVs checked in Zb. Can you share one of your .hip file to see if I'm doing smth wrong in H or in Z?
  • Quick Links