Grass flattening in Houdini 16

4648   6   0
31 posts
Hi all,

This is the first thing I've made in Houdini. My first test in Houdini 16 using the hair tools.

The sphere is transferring a furdirection attribute to the grass as it passes over. The direction is being driven by a CHOP of the sphere's motion passed through a slope to get it's velocity. That value is then normalized and passed as the direction the grass should face.

I'd still like to add some waving on the grass as if there's a gentle breeze, so any suggestions about how to do that would be appreciated.

13 posts
Brilliant this is exactly what I want to do, can you share the file?

You could actually use the wind and some turbulence.
Edited by Mário Domingos - March 18, 2017 10:46:44
13 posts
Or maybe if you could explain it in more detail….
31 posts
Sure, I've attached my file for reference. Yeah, I started to get the wind working after I posted this, not sure why it wasn't coming up the first time I tried.

Which part of the process were you wondering about?

Attachments:
Flatteining Grass.hipnc (750.2 KB)

13 posts
Hey,

I still have to look at yiur file. I'm sure it will be self explanatory. I'll get back here if I cant understand something. So see you in a bit
13 posts
It's not working, getting an error.

Attachments:
houdini error.PNG (37.3 KB)

31 posts
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what those channels are. The only thing I can think is to check the CHOP network that is driving the furdirection attribute.

Although those channel names aren't anything like what I used.

I know the hair system has had some changes in the last week or so of daily releases, so maybe there's a mismatch between the version I made it on and the version you are using?
  • Quick Links