Questions on video: GDC 2017 | Scott Keating | Houdini 16 for Games

2270   1   2
26 posts
I just watched the video “GDC 2017 | Scott Keating | Houdini 16 for Games” and noticed that in some instances during this video, Houdini behaves differently than how it does on my machine. Can someone please help me with this, as the way it behaves in the video is how I'd REALLY like Houdini do behave on my machine as well.

7:30 - He brings in a box. The box is automatically created within the box_object1. Also, the polybevel1 node of box1 is automatically set to template. Also, the template is shaded.

Behavior on my machine: When I create a box exactly like he does in the video, it is created on object level, outside of box_object1. Even if I force to create the new box inside box_object1 (by creating the box node on the network view window) the polybevel1 is not templated. Also, if I template the polybevel1 the template is displayed as a wireframe, not as a shaded model. How can I display a template as a shaded model?

10:08 - He selects the geometry of the toaster but still the two boxes remain visible and selected in network.

Behavior on my machine: As soon as I click the toaster the two boxes disappear and their node is deselected in the network window. How is this possible?
Edited by 8BitBeard - March 24, 2017 05:17:39
86 posts
Hey,

i cant answer all the questions since i am on my way out and i cannot watch the video.
But to create Geo in the same context, instead of jumping out to the object level:

You can set that via Edit-Preferences-Objects and Geometry.

In that window you can choose to create your objects in the same context. By default it is set to jumping out.

I think the Geo being set to template when you drop a new object is automatic when your choose to drop your new objects in the same context but i could be wrong.
But it is the same for me and i never changed any other settings.

Are you having the objects all in the same context? I think that would be the problem. As soon as you have all your objects in the same Geo context it should be the same for you.

Regarding 10:08
He has all elements in the same context (something you will have to set first) and then he face-selects the objects via double clicking (or primitives in houdini lingo). You might be trying to select your objects with the wrong setting.

Hope this helps a little!
Edited by anon_user_58123709 - March 24, 2017 12:26:44
  • Quick Links