Houdini engine for Unity does not work on Linux

4455   3   0
2 posts
Hi, I have a Ubuntu 16.04 computer, and the most recent version of Houdini was installed. But when I paste the assets from /opt/hfs-16.0.557/engine/unity/Assets/* to Unity3D, it just shows that “you are missing the correct Houdini(16.0.557) with Houdini Engine(3.0.58) installation”. And when I try to drag some of the samples into scene, it just says

Required Houdini Version: 16.0.557
Required Houdini Engine Version: 3.0.58

Reason for Installation Detection Failure:

License Type Acquired: Unknown

PATH Variable:
<*************************************>

I tried to add the bin path of houdini into bashrc but it was still absent in <**************>. And linking all content from hdf**/bin to /usr/bin also didn't work.

Attachments:
2017-04-09.png (28.0 KB)

Staff
534 posts
Hi,
The error indicates that the Unity plug-in cant find the Houdini installation.

Here's a few things you could try:
- Make sure that the houdini bin path shows up in you PATH environment variable properly before launching unity.
(either by adding it in etc/environment or in your .profile )

- You can also install the latest 16.0 version, and import the plug-in by importing the .unitypackage file.
IIRC the unity package file was missing from 16.0.557 .
11 posts
on windows , sometimes i see same kind of error

i simply drag an example asset such as curve decorator to scene and this time , i can see houdini engine indie license instead of “unknown”

on the other hand, maybe you activated houdini apprentice license and this may conflict with your houdini engine indie license.

it may be related to using commercial and non-commercial license same time.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

There's been a few fixes on the plug-in sides that should resolve the “License Unknown” error on Linux.
(those fixes are in 16.0.626).
With the PATH properly set, the plug-in should be able to find the license correctly now.
  • Quick Links