using add to connect multiple sweep individually

1858   3   0
125 posts
How is that for a obscure title?

I am working through building a thread/stitch setup to simulate sewing. Seams, patches, etc.
The path has been to generate individual lines in the pattern of stitches, sweep a circle down them then connect those points in a spiral pattern (like thread).

All going fine until I try to create the individual thread fibres for each primitive line. As you can see in the threaded.jpg file the ends of each “thread” go and connect to the next one so that they all become connected. I need them to only connect to the points within each “stitch”

Stumped here. I can group each stitch element when doing the sweep but not sure how that can help me.
I also thought using a for next loop to iterate over each thread individually might work but it ends with the same result of all being connected.

the image swept.jpg shows the individual “stitches” ready to receive their fibres.

would anyone have any suggestions on how I could better get the results I am looking for?

I hope my screenshots will do a better job of explaining what I am after.

thanks
Jeff

Attachments:
swept.JPG (25.5 KB)
threaded.JPG (52.5 KB)
tree.JPG (41.5 KB)

4 posts
Have you tried assigning each stream an ID attribute and then using the add sop to connect by attribute: ID? I’ve done a similar setup where I had leader particles dropping a stream of static particles behind the leader, and assigning each leader particle an ID attribute that gets passed down to the static particle “trails”. Then you can take your add sop and connect by attribute without having to use a ForEach node.
125 posts
thank you and good idea. I was able to limit the connections with this technique however my method for generating the thread look was to use the “Skip every Nth point” option for the add which would generate the spiral twist. My new screenshot shows that I am able to only get a single “fibre” down each thread.
I was also able to get similar results using the groups generated from the sweep(with a group transfer thrown in)
so I learned something there as well but again I am unable to generate the twisted fibre look as it only creates a single fibre.

Attachments:
swept_singleFibre.JPG (23.0 KB)

125 posts
hold on, I kind of have this working now… I think I had the wrong settings for Piece Elements (primitive instead of point) in the forEach end node. Nothing like good ole random button pushing when you dont know what else to do.

half step closer…

awesome - I ended up being able to use the groups from the sweep in the Add node to isolate the threads when running through the for next.

strangely there are a few errant fibres here and there but I'll take that for now
  • Quick Links