Debian ATI9200 libGL.so.1

3816   5   1
5 posts
Just installed Houdini on My Debian system.

I have an ATI9200/9250 card, I haven't installed drivers for this card, any tips on doing this under Debian. I downloaded drivers from ATI, but they didn't install successfully , do I need to compile them for my system???

When I start Houdini it can't find libGL.so.1 is this because I haven't installed the card drivers??? I can't find it this package in Debian Testing repository.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
139 posts
Yeah, usually the video driver will provide the GL library (for nvidia anyway).

The xlibmesa-gl provides the software version of the GL library.

Can you give more information as to why the ATI drivers didn't install?
5 posts
I got around that problem by dynamically linking to libGL.so.1.2

Why the ATI drivers don't install, not sure yet, if I download the .rpm and use alien to create a .deb I get dependency problems, If I download ATI's custom installer utility, this just doesn't fire up, I get “Permission Denied” even though I'm trying to run it as root.

Arghhhhh, must resist tearing last few strands of hair from scalp.

Now that I got Houdini running, I have another problem with the Licence server. I'll post that next.

Linux Love Hate Love Hate Hate!
387 posts
redg
I get “Permission Denied” even though I'm trying to run it as root.

I'm unsure whether I should even suggest this, mainly because you're probably trying to run the wrong thing (as root). However! Here goes. Even root can get a “Permission Denied” if the file does not have its' execute flags set. Normally, you would expect a file which is meant to be executed and is distributed by a company to already have these flags set - if it is indeed meant to be run. Say the file is called fred. Then do a “/bin/ls -l fred” and have a look at the flags. Chances are they look like this -rw-r–r– To make it executable, run this: (don't type the “#”!)

# /bin/ls -l fred
# chmod +x fred
# /bin/ls -l fred

You should see “x” flags there now. This will let root execute it. Permission denied is a fairly misleading error when the problem is missing execute flags.

Keep in mind, if this file is NOT meant to be executed afterall, bad things™ could happen..

With Linux now everyone's a sys-admin… And this is good because..?

regards,
ben
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
5 posts
Thanks Ben,

Still adjust to using Linux, I guess I just assumed that an executable downloaded from ATI would be executable, it wasn't, thanks for the tip.
581 posts
redg
Thanks Ben,

Still adjust to using Linux, I guess I just assumed that an executable downloaded from ATI would be executable, it wasn't, thanks for the tip.
Maybe it is not a executable because the installer is a script, the nvidia drivers use the same format.
Anyway if this is the case, notmally you have a .sh file, you can use the sh command to launch a script that is not a exectable file:

sh installer.sh
With Linux now everyone's a sys-admin… And this is good because..?
Jeje yeah this is good!
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links