Viewport crash Radeon drivers

1894   5   0
34 posts
Hello everyone. I have been experiencing an issue with this scene I am working on. I made this character. He's got some 4K textures and vector displacement maps. The issue is that after I set up the scene (especially when switching back to the viewport tab) the viewport freezes and the Radeon driver crashes. After that I cannot open the scene (every time the same GPU driver crash). I use the classic shader. the rig is an HP Z620 with an 8 GB, Radeon R9 390. Has anyone had the same experience? Any tips? Thanks in advance.
Edited by ventralstreams - May 6, 2017 13:29:21
471 posts
Hello.
Did you try latest graphic driver for your R9 390?
Staff
5161 posts
I would suggest running Houdini in Manual mode (lower right corner, change “Auto Update” to Manual), then loading your file and in the viewport display options, turning off “Displacement” on the Effects tab (Material group). It's probably taking too long to draw and timing out the driver, so Windows resets it.
34 posts
Thanks for the tips. I have installed the latest driver. @twod: Your suggestion worked. The scene did open. Wasn't getting any useful results with the viewport displacement anyway. It is weird though. I mean the system should be able to handle this. Shouldn't it?
Staff
5161 posts
It should, but Windows implements a timeout of 2s, and if the driver doesn't respond within that time, it resets it. Because GL completely abstracts away the hardware performance from the application, it's very hard to tell if a draw call will easily complete in that time (on a high end card) or not (maybe mobile). It's hard to predict how the hardware will react to a given draw call, but we do attempt to slice up meshes into smaller ones and limit the sizes of maps.

In your case, it might just be due to the large texture map and subdivision the displacement is doing. Setting the displacement level to 0.1 might help as well.
34 posts
Ok. Thank you very much for the info.
  • Quick Links