Source Volumes / FLIP - Collision Behaviour

3504   3   1
6 posts
Hey all,

I´m really struggling with a simulation for the last days so I decided to ask for help and really hope I can find my answer here.

The idea is simple. Make a lava fluid melt another object by transfering the temp value to the viscosity.

The problem is the collision inside the flip solver.
Once the lava is colliding with the object which should be static at first, it starts to push it around. I´ve upped the viscosity and density values but still no luck.

I think I have to adjust the collision/collisionvel inside the flipsolver but no idea how to start there…

Jeff is talking about adjusting those fields in this workshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D7C06PQyhU [www.youtube.com]

but its really hard for me to transfer that to my scene.

Any ideas??
Maybe a setup with two flip simulations?
I´m really looking forward to your answers because my brain is crushed right now

Attachments:
test_melt.hipnc (955.4 KB)

6 posts
So I´ve tried a setup with two different dop simulations. One for the stream and the other for the melting. It´s a bit unhandy since you have to run two simulations but it works.

Still I would like to figure out how it´s possible in one setup.
I can´t get the two fluid sources separated.

When I put a collision object around it somehow the collision between both fluid streams is still happening to some degree(?). I´ve tried to work with the pscale but that seems not to change anything.
A setup with multiple solver doesn´t work for me so far but I will keep trying.

Is there no way to have two fluid sources where only one collides or without any collision happening?
Edited by Polyhead - June 3, 2017 14:40:18
73 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to achieve. The scene file has a sphere of liquid pouring down on the liquid pig that deforms the pig and also pushes it around. What did you want to happen instead?

Thanks,
Ryan
6 posts
Hi Ryan,

Over the past days I´ve managed to complete a lot from my setup so the problem is now solved.

The goal was to transfer the temperature data from the lava to the viscosity via an voppop to have control over the speed of deformation how fast the object will melt. The effect inside the posted hip is a result of mass/density.

The solution is indeed a setup with two dop networks. One is the lava and the other the melting object. I didn´t know that it is possible to transfer data back and forth between those dops.

Right now everything works and the lava is even colliding with the melting object
  • Quick Links