I keep getting the “Pentium III required” etc, dialog even after setting
the env vars as follows :

HOUDINI_DISABLE_MMX := 1
HOUDINI_DISABLE_SSE := 1
HOUDINI_DISABLE_XMMX := 1

Win XP Pro. Houdini 8.0.4.10 Apprentice version

Annoying, but I guess on the bright side, the program *is* running

I have an AMD cpu, and according to a “cpu id” program I ran, it says that
it is a a Family Model 6.4.2., and supposedly MMX and Extended MMX are supported. I'll try deleting the “*MMX*” env vars.

I assume that an “AMD 6.4.2” is NOT equivalent to a Pentium III?
I've looked on the web for some sort of cross reference INTEL AMD, but haven't found anyting yet.

I use to dabble in assembly language, back in the (very old !) 386 days, still do a bit, but I must admit I've lost track of what CPU's Intel and AMD
are now making

Mike
Staff
5161 posts
If I'm interpreting the CPUID data right, then it seems that you have an AMD K6 CPU. This CPU does not support SSE at all. It does support MMX and XMMX, however.

The first AMD CPUs to include SSE are the AMD AthlonXP and AthlonMP. The Athlon64 and AthlonX2s properly support SSE2 as well, and some support SSE3 (depending on when you purchased it).

To get rid of the message, do:

setenv HOUDINI_DISABLE_SSE 0

or set this variable in the Environment Variables dialog in ControlPanel->System->Advanced->EnvVars.
77 posts
twod
To get rid of the message, do:

setenv HOUDINI_DISABLE_SSE 0

Ok, thx that did it. I didn't think of changing the ‘1’ to a ‘0’. The docs only say to “set” the variable, not mentioning any specific value.

I guess the code is checking for a ‘0’.

But since the env var is named ….DISABLE… and I was trying to set it to TRUE, I assumed that ‘1’ meant true

Mike
3 posts
BTW, I don't think that works in linux. Seems to me that linux version does not pay attention to that variable. Whatever you do it goes: Illegal instruction.
  • Quick Links