OLD CLOTH SOLVER

2620   3   1
125 posts
Hellow there.

Is there a way to have the old cloth solver and cloth object in H16?

Cause as for now, I can't find a way to drive my cloth sims with custom flields with the new finite element solver as I used to do in the good old time.

I am not looking for the external velocity offset thing, i know how to use it, but its effect is the same everywhere in space. What I needt to do is, let say, free falling pieces of cloth affected by a turbulent wind when they are crossing a precise area.

PLEASE PLEASE, fix this thing cause I'm thinking on getting back to nCloth to do my work and it's realy a pain in the …

Sincerely your
Staff
429 posts
In Houdini 16.0 there is again a dedicated Cloth Solver, which is put down whenever you use the Cloth Object shelf tool.

If you have a custom velocity field, you should be able to specify this in “External Velocity Field”,
for example by entering “vel”. (This functionality has not been removed.)

I'm attaching an updated example that uses this feature in H16.0.

Attachments:
cloth_velocity_field_H16.hip (1.0 MB)

125 posts
thanks for your hip,

As the external velocity field parameter comes with an operator chooser I didn't realised that the “vel” has to be a field in the same dop, tried to connect it to an external volume in sop as the “external” suggested.

Thanks a lot but couldn't we agree that it could be documented more acurately in the help.

Cheers

P.S. what about the fan and wind forces ? still not reliable with cloth?
Edited by NAHASSIA - June 23, 2017 19:21:54
Staff
429 posts
NAHASSIA
P.S. what about the fan and wind forces ? still not reliable with cloth?

Among other issues, these forces don't provide the right kind of force information that the solver needs. This is Bug 81146.
  • Quick Links