How set a max emission limit for Particles? offset? Particle Tool?

3104   2   0
2 posts
Hi Guys,

I am Maya user start learning Houdini. Looks amazing all procedural idea
I am starting get into houdini Dynamics world!

If I do not find in the search, I would pop a question here

1) It is there a way to set up a max particle abount emittion from Pop Source (emitter)?
I know I can key the Const Birth Rate. But lets get precise.

In maya is “max count” in the particleShape <Emission Attributes

2) Is there a way to set a emission OFFSET (distance) from a emitter ? or particles have to born from the surface or from a point?

3) Is there any Particle tool, which we can freely place particles randomly by hand? Or How should I do?

Thanks in advance
1391 posts
Hi

1. for setup max particle count you don't have similar Max Count parameter in the Houdini and you have to do this manually ,you have couple of ways for doing that.
for example you can make simple tool for doing that via POP Wrangle.
Just use this Expression inside your POP Wrangle :

# Generate only 100 point
if (@id > 99)
removepoint(0,@ptnum);

2. Sorry I don't know what you looking for exactly !!!! please explain

3. The best way for doing that is scattering some random points on the surface ,Then use these points as source if particles. So you can place your points manually via Spray SOP or even using Paint SOP and Scatter SOP.
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
2 posts
Hey!

1) Tested here with POP Wrangler and worked! nice! VEX is in the list for learning

2) The offset mean. e.g When I create a “Location Particle Emitter” all particles born in the center of the emitter.
In maya does the same thing. But there is a option called “offset” for Volume Emitter or Min and Max distance for Omni emitter.
I can set e.g offset of = 100 and all particles will born 100 away from the center of the emitter. Also can add expression for vary this offset. This is nice for stars or effects that you can control how far the particles should born from the emitter.

3) I do not know how to properly use the Spray SOP. The Scatter place points randomly. I would like place in a precise point. I will study more about the Spray. Maybe spreading sphere with Spray SOP and then converting to points each sphere.

Many thanks for help!!
  • Quick Links