Serious input lag issue for HDAs - disabling "cook on paramater change" doesn't work properly?

2081   2   0
453 posts
(Houdini 16.0.666 and UE4.16)

I have a procedure that manipulates/generates a landscape and some geo based on curve (and landscape) input. When I connect curves (standard Unreal splines wrapped in blueprints) to the HDA and turn off cooking on parameter change, I still get major lags when I edit these input curves. This is terrible for the workflow.

When a curve is connected to the input and I scale a point on the curve in UE4 the lag will cause the gizmo to get stuck for a bit every few seconds. This makes proper editing of UE4 splines very tedious and very unpleasant. A curve that is not connected to an HDA does not have such a problem. Note that the computer is a fairly powerful one. So I think that a big part of the Houdini procedure cooks on parameter change even though cooking on parameter change is turned off.

Has anybody else observed this kind of behavior? Is this a known issue? Might this be fixed in newer Houdini Engine version?
Staff
534 posts
Hi DASD,

I tried to reproduce the issue by using an unreal spline in a blueprint, plugged in a world input that generates a landscape. When “Cook on parameter changes” is turned off, the landscape doesn't cook when the spline is modified.
(only the spline itself is updated in Houdini)

Could you give us more details on your setup, or share your HDA with us ?
453 posts
Thanks dpernuit,

I will send a bug report.
  • Quick Links