Object Collision with Wave from OCEAN FX tool

9151   9   1
7 posts

Hi all. I need a help.

Is there anyway to collide or dynamically float an object on ocean fx wave surface ?

even if the object doesn't produce foam it will work.. I just need the dynamic motion of wave surface on object.

I don't want to do an actual flip simulation.
1391 posts
If you just wanna float any object on surface of the Ocean ,You can project a single point on surface of the ocean (e.g via Intersect node in PointVOP) ,then put your Boat model on this point.
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
1391 posts
I made a simple project about this for you
Edited by Sadjad Rabiee - July 11, 2016 05:40:18

Attachments:
JK_FloatingBoat.hip (1000.8 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
7 posts
Hello, can you please tell me which version of houdini you used to create the project file above?

I tried opening with 13, the file opens but it gives a list of WARNINGS.

This is what I see after closing the warning popup. (check img bellow.)
I tried replacing the BOAT (sphere) with other objects, then simulate but nothing happens..

Edited by aguha2050 - July 12, 2016 03:46:19

Attachments:
HOUDINI.JPG (402.1 KB)

7 posts
Hello anyone? plz
2038 posts
I'm using 15.5.480

Works fine for me.

Only warning is on last node with “mismatch of attributes”, but that can be taken care of easily and shouldn't affect the sim.
7 posts
I tried from a latest version of Houdini and it's working.
thanks both of you for helping.
280 posts
Just want to share my simple setup
- it average the area covered by the boat so no sudden movement you can also improve this by adding another layer of chop to filter it if you choose so ( its not implemented in this scene file, but i thought its quite simple to do so)
- it also takes null rotation into consideration for look at direction so your boat can turn
- also takes up vector into consideration…
hopes it helps

Patar
Edited by patar - Aug. 16, 2016 16:43:18

Attachments:
Patar3d_float_setup.hip (1.2 MB)

1 posts
The Houdini Master Class on the new ocean tools has a setup for this on the downloads on Side Effects site that go with the instructional videos.

It includes chops for creating lag and it's easy to add other controls to limit the specta's influence on the floating object.

It uses a three point system that you can move outwards or inwards towards the floating object giving the effect of dampening or widening the effect of the waves on pitch and roll.

Also by translating this three point system you can get your boat for example to move through the ocean after you pack it and copy it to points.

Works quite well actually and is simple.
www.daverand.com
1 posts
daverand
The Houdini Master Class on the new ocean tools has a setup for this on the downloads on Side Effects site that go with the instructional videos.

It includes chops for creating lag and it's easy to add other controls to limit the specta's influence on the floating object.

It uses a three point system that you can move outwards or inwards towards the floating object giving the effect of dampening or widening the effect of the waves on pitch and roll.

Also by translating this three point system you can get your boat for example to move through the ocean after you pack it and copy it to points.

Works quite well actually and is simple.

Hi, thanks for pointing that. But in the files they didn´t include the boat or the setup. I got stucked as when created 3 points it copy the boat to the 3 points and not to an average of them. There is a wrangle node on the class that he didn´t show the content that is named N_Up_from the frame. Could you help me showing how can I copy to the average of the 3 points created on the surface?
Best regards,
  • Quick Links