Selecting facets(?) of a box with primitive type as polygon mesh

1394   2   2
10 posts
Hi! I am new to houdini so the terms i am using may not be correct
So, i would like to select certain facets (all the primitives facing a certain direction) of a box. I want to reference this selection/group in PolyExtrude node.
I have come up with a logic for creating a group based on the polygon number and its relation with the number of divisions. But I am not sure how to use it (cant figure out how to convert the logic into the python language format).
I have attached an image with the desired result (i have manually selected the polygons for the sake of illustration).
Please help me figure this out.
Thank you!

Attachments:
Untitled-2.jpg (512.3 KB)

1743 posts
The Group Create SOP has a “Keep by Normals” option, which adds all primitives (when Group Type is Primitives) whose normals are within Spread Angle of Direction. Turn off Base Group, turn on Keep by Normals, set Direction to the axis you're interested in, and set Spread Angle to, let's say, 10 degrees, (it just needs to be strictly less than 90 and strictly greater than 0, with some margin of error to deal with roundoff). That'll create a group that you can then specify in a PolyExtrude node's Group field.

Hopefully that's what you were looking for.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
10 posts
that worked! thanks!
  • Quick Links