Can't fill object with Flip fluid above the emitter

8628   5   5
65 posts
I need to fill a bucket with liquid from inside the bucket. When I emit fluid into the bucket, it stops adding particles to the simulation once it reaches the height of the emitter. I'm assuming there is a setting the particles are killed if they are emitted inside pre-existing fluid?

Anyone heard of this? If I raise the emitter out of the bucket, and drop it down into the bucket, it fills up just fine.

Thanks
Staff
6198 posts
FLIP particles are just marker particles, not volume particles. So putting more in an area doesn't cause that area to inflate. This is often a good thing as it ends up a lot more stable than something like SPH. SPH became a nightmare to work with as you had to be very careful adding particles to avoid explosions.

On the FLIP Object turn on the “Add Divergence” field.

Then use the Populate Containers;:Expand From Object shelf tool to generate divergence from your source. This causes the fluid to expand from that location, effectively creating a net-source even when submerged. Attached is an example.

Attachments:
fillflip.hip (1.8 MB)

65 posts
Thanks a bunch! I appreciate it.
7 posts
Hi,
correct me if Im wrong, but this seems to work only for filling really narrow spaces. When I need to fill a larger object from a tube, coming from the bottom, even if I set the divergence REALLY high (100 nad more), it doesn't fill the object to the top.
Also it becomes very unstable (particles shooting out)'.
And more imortantly - if I somehow do get it on the level I'd like, when I stop adding the divergence, the fluid's waterlevel just goes down like if no divergence was added.. So it's impossible to maintain the waterlevel where I need it..

On the narrow colliders it works perfectly - you animate the divergence to zero, when the fluid reaches the waterlevel you desire, and it stays there. But not with wider fill objects and small emitors.

Anyone knows how to solve this?

I already wrote here (https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/45707/?page=1#post-235317) and altered Jeff Wagner's setup, where even with enlarged emitor, it's impossible to fill and keep the fluid up.

Thanks for any advice!
10 posts
Has something changed? I can't get this to work.

I'm trying to create an infinity fountain that fills up and spills over the edges into a second plunge pool. I can't get the liquid to fill up past the emitter.

I've used the shelf tool “Expand from objects” and activated divergence. I've looked at a couple of scene files that do exactly this but I can not get this to work in my file. It looks like the tools have changed.

I'd love some help on this one!!

I really want to do more fluid sims in the future.

I've attached my file so you can take a look and tell me how stupid I am!!

Thanks

Attachments:
waterfall.hiplc (970.0 KB)

1 posts
HammerHeadCat
Has something changed? I can't get this to work.

I'm trying to create an infinity fountain that fills up and spills over the edges into a second plunge pool. I can't get the liquid to fill up past the emitter.

I've used the shelf tool "Expand from objects" and activated divergence. I've looked at a couple of scene files that do exactly this but I can not get this to work in my file. It looks like the tools have changed.

I'd love some help on this one!!

I really want to do more fluid sims in the future.

I've attached my file so you can take a look and tell me how stupid I am!!

Thanks
set 10 scale divergence volume
  • Quick Links