Splitting up geometry into set amount of consecutive groups

2545   2   1
17 posts
Hi !
I have a geometry like this one (The geometry will always be similar to this one, it is the outskirt of an environmental prop):

and I would like to be able to split it in X consecutive groups, so for example into something like this if the user wants to split in 4 groups:

But the user should be able to change the amount of groups, and split it in 3 or 10 groups if he wants to.

I looked into some of the SOP nodes available and so far the closest I found was the SolidFracture, but it isn't really easy to use, especially because the it's scale also influence the height scale, and I don't want this geometry to be split in height.

Does anyone have a suggestion ?
39 posts
I'm pretty sure there's an easier way, but this is what I have at the moment:

1. Connect you geo into a clusterpoints sop.
2. Promote the cluster attribute from point to primitive in an attribute promote node.
3. Run through a for-each loop with Iteration Method set to “By Pieces or Points” and Piece Attribute to “cluster”. Create a metadata node which will give you access to an iteration attribute, you can then use this attribute in a group sop within the for-each loop by setting the group name to: group_`detail(“../foreach_begin1_metadata”, “iteration”, 0).

Thanks,

Sean
17 posts
Thank you very much Sean, I will try your suggestion !
  • Quick Links