need help on a Golden rectangle

2369   3   0
27 posts
hey there, I'm want to create a golden rectangle grid that I can adjust the weight and height for analysis purposes, I've played around with a couple of nodes there and I can make that grid.

however, if I want to go further, let's say, to cut a specific edge with the golden ratio, I running into a problem with the topology, that I can't select the edge that I already divide…

sorry for that ugly handwriting…I've tried the curvesect nodes and it doesn't work in this case. so I'm hoping someone out there could help me out with this, thanks.
Edited by donghongzi - Dec. 31, 2017 03:37:01

Attachments:
s1.jpg (283.6 KB)
phi grid.hipnc (74.4 KB)

236 posts
Hi, there are probably better methods but I've attached an option to look at using Boolean & Facet.

1. After the merge, add a Boolean Intersect to get intersecting points along the edges.
2. Use a facet sop to get unique points (and overlapping edges)
3. Edit by selecting edge, then shift drag over same edge (to add overlapped edge to selection)

I've included another Boolean option that uses groups (ie bounding box) to transform the edges instead of the edit.

Rob

Attachments:
phi_grid_RS.jpg (73.2 KB)
phi_grid_RS.hipnc (117.2 KB)

555 posts
I would use clip (Keep All Primitives) to make your cuts instead…then it ‘just works’…
27 posts
thank you all for the solutions! Robsdesign's method works fine for me, I just leave it at the boolean node to keep everything simple.

I've tried the clip node as Vusta suggested but I can't get the distance range from -5 to 5 to 0 to 1, “fit” expression won't do and I can't seem to edit the parameters of that node. I didn't use Houdini for a long time so I'm a dumb now. but thanks anyway, this is the greatest community I've experienced so far.
  • Quick Links