How to start FX with houdini?

1456   1   1
1 posts
I am really interest to do FX. I am always been curious about how fx in games and movies is created. As i am searching the net, i see that, for FX Artist, i need to be able to code.I never done any coding in my life, and i am not sure if writing code is for me. If i want to do FX with houdini, what should i know? What to learn and where to start?
I see some tutorials here and there, but is there any in-depth tutorials, that can teach me the insides of FX?

And what kind of theory i need to know to do any kind of FX with Houdini?
And for programming, i see studios look for Python. Is it hard to learn? What to learn about Python?
39 posts
Hey Liilayana!

When starting out in FX coding isn't really necessary, although is a useful skill to learn and will help you become a better artist in the long run.

Are you new to Houdini? If you are I would recommend looking into how it works in comparison to other software that you may have used. Particularly the node-based workflow and its use of attributes and how they are used.

Once you are comfortable in the Houdini environment I would recommend starting with Particles, then moving Pyro and/or RBD Sims. These three areas will help you when you move onto the more advanced areas like Flip Fluids, Grains, FEM etc.

While you are working through these areas I highly recommend looking at coding, particularly VEX, which is Houdini's internal coding language. You can also looking in to Python as it's a useful language to learn in general, but it's more suited for tool development when it comes to Houdini.
  • Quick Links