Parameter change doesn't cook until mouse button is released.

3403   3   0
4 posts
I'm having an issue in Unreal where if I click and drag a parameter for an asset, it will not update and cook until after I have let go of the mouse button.

All I have done is a simple test with a box a parameter to adjust the height of the box. If I click and drag, then release the mouse it will eventually cook and update after a few seconds (I also thought it would cook faster…) If I click and drag the parameter but never release the mouse, it never cooks and never updates.

I've found the option in the project settings “Cook Curves on Mouse Release”, but this toggle doesn't seem to change anything.

Any ideas anyone?

My Unreal Version: 4.18.3
My Houdini Indie Version: 16.5.378
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

That's a deliberate choice on our side, as cooking while moving the sliders would slow down the plugin considerably.
Cook curve on mouse release is only used for input curves, and not parameter changes.

That delay is not caused by Houdini's cooking or the plugin, but by Unreal taking some time to create Static Meshes.
4 posts
I am watching a tutorial on using Houdini with Unity, and I am trying to do the same thing in Unreal. The Unity plugin doesn't seem to have this delay which is why I thought something was wrong, but I guess it's just a difference between Unreal and Unity.

Thanks for the reply.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Yeah, that “delay” is caused internally by Unreal creating the static meshes, since it does a lot of optimization on the geometry, which Unity doesn't. We added those options (cook on mouse release) to try and mitigate this.
  • Quick Links