new to houdini

11000   11   2
2 posts
Hi all!
I'm very new to houdini (I never used it before, to be honest!).
I'm wondering how can I get more confidential with this software, is the apprentice version good for me?Which limitations do I have with the apprentice version? does it include the dynamics sections (this is what I got to learn for first)

thanks for your help!

Nicola
7734 posts
Perhaps this link may help:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=213&Itemid=89 [sidefx.com]

Yes, it includes dynamics.
2 posts
thanks a lot!

I'm gonna dl it!
509 posts
Is that flag of Italy?… if so …check renderglobal.. i did couple (preparing the others but on hold cause of lack of computer to do so) .. videotutorials in Italian.. starting from the really first steps “downloading and installing apprentice version” to first SOP video. Right now I'm preparing second SOP and some POP. hope u'll find ‘em usefull somehow. they’re ment to be exactly what u're looking for.. some basic intros (in italian) for newcoming houdiniers.

cheers.
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
4 posts
Hy, im just starting with Houdini, it kinda runs slow on my computer ‘amd Sempron +3400 512MB ram, Ati video card’. Im normaly work with 3D Max without problems.. simply rotate a obj (slooow), any help??
Sorry about my English
1390 posts
Abdelharg:
its all about your ATI. I don't know what chip you have but unless it's ATI FIRE your are in trouble, because Houdini won't use OpenGL at all our crash after while. You can work in software mode with env. variable: HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE.

willkommen!
SYmek

sum][one:

you prepared video tutorials for Houdini and nobody knows it!? Shame on you! :wink:
234 posts
just to add that I manage to work pretty good with omega drivers installed for my x600, on my laptop
try them maybe they'll work for you also. www.omegadrivers.net
4 posts
for the moment im using a laptop with a onboard video card (Ati Radeon X200)… I think i go back to 3D MAX. What are the advand. for Houdini/3DMAX8/Auodesk Motion Builder 7.5?
THX y'aaAl,
1390 posts
If you can't see the difference maybe this is a reason to stay with Max, seriously!

…there is no sense to compare so different products like H./M./MBuil.

cheers!
509 posts
SYmek
Abdelharg:
its all about your ATI. I don't know what chip you have but unless it's ATI FIRE your are in trouble, because Houdini won't use OpenGL at all our crash after while. You can work in software mode with env. variable: HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE.

willkommen!
SYmek

sum][one:

you prepared video tutorials for Houdini and nobody knows it!? Shame on you! :wink:

About ATI Card… yeah i confirm about few environments will “save” your houdini using on no-FIREGL cards.. I posted my personal environment settings but i cant find it … maybe you can check odforce too.. or i'll post it if i'll find it.. now I changed my laptop so i'm on a FireGl and under Linux.. and everything works really smooth and fine.

about video tutorials… well.. first.. I'm too shy to posts *here* about crap noob videotutorials i made … second.. they are in Italian… i tought nobody here (except Italian people which i dont know many sadly) would be interested… thirth … they are really really basic…. i dont expect nobody here could find anything usefull there .. they are my personal “crusade” to have my country a bit more interested (well.. my country.. big words.. sorry) on Houdini… and make people believe houdini is not that hard to learn.. I'm now trying to find how can I capture such video in Linux so i didnt made any more yet.. but i'm going to continue such videos soon…

cheers.

oh btw… just in case you're interested… here's the link.
http://www.renderglobal.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67 [renderglobal.org]
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
4 posts
Thank you for the replies..
I'v installed the latest drivers for my videocard (ati mob. x200), but Houdini still runs slow. Im considering tho buying a new comp, the one i have i own 3months now it was kinda a misbuy.
How/can i change the Graphic Mode so it runs on software.OpenGl/Direct3D???

Exs. for my bad englisch, i'm from Belgium…
1390 posts
Create global variable: HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE and give it value 1.
You should also chack HOUDINI_OGL_DBL_BUFFER_FIX, for some problems with refreshing text fields in vewport. Or just read the page with global variables in Houdini help. There are view others to manage GPU problems.

cheers,
SY.
  • Quick Links