Odd rendering issue

2956   3   0
2 posts
Hey everyone,

I just started out with houdini, and I'm quite enjoying it. However I've come across a problem while following a tutorial. I get to the point where I'm to render my image, but when I do so, some of my geometry isn't rendering.

I originally started with a cylinder, and then modified it into a rocket ship (some of you may be familiar with the tutorial), yet when I render, I just see the cylinder. I've attached an image showing the unrendered geometry in one viewport, and the render in another.

I'm pretty sure I followed the tutorial correctly, so this brings me to wonder if this could possibly be a hardware issue? I'm not exactly on a suitable graphics card (rad 9000).

This is almost certainly due to something I've done (or didn't do) in Houdini, but any ideas would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Edit: Arr, sorry everyone the image expands the forum frame.

Attachments:
houdini.png (188.0 KB)

1631 posts
Hi,

The Render Flag (purple coloured) is not set on the last SOP or the SOP you want to render. Just put the purple flag together with the blue & you will render what is displayed.

This is one of the most common mistakes everyone makes. New and old users alike.

Cheers!
steven
Staff
3455 posts
yep…you can tell because the tube is sitting at the origin - where it was first created…

one thing that I find useful is to place a null at the very bottom of your SOP network and call it OUT, in your preferences turn Change Render and Display Flags Seperately to ON, then turn the purple Render flag of the OUT null on..

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
2 posts
Ahh I see, yeah that makes a lot more sense. Great, that fixed it, it renders just fine now

arctor, that sounds like a useful idea.

Thanks a lot to you both! Now, onwards in the tutorials
  • Quick Links