Geometry ROP error

6902   3   1
543 posts
Hi there,

I'm getting a strange error when trying to bake out some geo via a geometry ROP. Most frames of the sequence finish fine, memory usage averages at about 1.7G, with 2 or 3 frames peaking at 3.4G but they finish. There are some 4-5 frames that almost always fail with the following error from hscript:

> /obj/geo_all/ropnet -> render geometry1
Render failed:
Error: No OP found or specified: geometry1

Of course there is a “geometry1” geometry ROP so the error message appears to be unrelated to the actual error that occured. I reduced the amount of geo to be baked out by the geo ROP by half but still get the error. While hscript is running, top reports that it's max mem useage at about 2.3G just before tha failure (not sure how much to trust top).

H8.0.474, RH4.

Any ideas?

TIA!

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
276 posts
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately that error message is misleading, what it is trying to say is that the SOP specified in the ‘SOP Path’ parameter can't be found. Could it be that the SOP errors out, or somehow doesn't exist by the time those frames are being rendered?

George.
543 posts
george
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately that error message is misleading, what it is trying to say is that the SOP specified in the ‘SOP Path’ parameter can't be found. Could it be that the SOP errors out, or somehow doesn't exist by the time those frames are being rendered?

George.
Hi George!

Good to hear from you as always! It's a very weird scenario, really hard to find where it's truly breaking, I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the geo ROP itself, at least I would assume that. Still investigating. As per Jason Iverson tip, the perf meter is giving us lots of good detail to sniff out the problem.

I wonder, would it be possible for ROPs to spit out more error detail? There's been more than a few occasions in the past where a ROP will fail and it only leaves a myserious message like “can't find script” or something like that, can't remember the actual error string off the top of my head. But it always would be something “upstream”; this case seems to be soemthing quite different.

Anyway, hope all is well.

Take care,
Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
276 posts
xionmark
I wonder, would it be possible for ROPs to spit out more error detail? There's Mark

Yes… there should definitely be more details in the errors wherever possible. I've submitted this case as an RFE.

Thanks Mark,
George.
  • Quick Links