Trouble exporting alembic file

3898   5   0
5 posts
Hey,

I want to export a geometry from Houdini to 3ds max ith an Alembic file.
In my Houdini geometry, I have groups with differents names.
My first goal is to have these (inside/outside) groups with the geometry exported to the 3ds max.
My second goal is to export material with gemometry,if it is possible.

In my Rop Alembic Output SOP I have these settings :
- Build Hierarchy From Attributes check on
- Path Attribute : name
- Packed Alembic Priority : Hierarchy

But when I'm in Maya all my names are deleted, I just have the classic ‘polysurface*’, and I have no group… How can I keep the same hierarchy from Houdini in Maya ?

Could someone give me some help.
I am a new to houdini,
Could give me a sample?

Thanks very much

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 10.46.12 PM.png (623.9 KB)
stylesheets_fragments_test.hip (525.6 KB)

5 posts
5 posts
Hello, is there any body
5 posts
Hello
Staff
329 posts
I see a few issues.

1) Alembic archives store data in a hierarchy. The Alembic ROP needs to express the data being exported as a hierarchy in the Alembic archive. In your example, the parameters on /obj/geo1/rop_alembic1 indicate the Alembic ROP should look for a primitive string attribute called “path” indicating where to place each shape in the hierarchy. However, if you look at the geometry fed into the Alembic ROP, there is no “path” attribute.

2) Shape nodes in an Alembic archive are things like polygons, curves, subdivision surfaces, etc. There cannot be a mix of subdivision surfaces and polygons in an Alembic shape node. If you want the inside to be a composed of subdivision surfaces and the exterior to be composed of polygons, the pieces need to be separated into multiple Alembic shape nodes.

3) Your geometry contains packed primitives. These contain both transform and shape data. You will want to tell the Alembic ROP how to export these two pieces of information. If you care about Alembic node names and keeping transform information separate from point positions, consider setting the “Packed Transform” parameter to “Merge With Parent Transform” and using the “path” attribute to specify where the shape node component should be placed in the Alembic hierarchy.

4) The Alembic ROP will export geometry attributes (used by materials) but does not support exporting materials (i.e. it will not generate material nodes in the Alembic archive).

Attached is a simple example of how to use the Alembic ROP.

The “abcecho” and “abcinfo” command line tools may be helpful if you are unsure about what actually was exported to the resulting Alembic archive.

Attachments:
alembic-rop-example.hip (119.8 KB)

5 posts
WOW,Thanks very much,let me try:-)
  • Quick Links