Adding bones to an auto rig?

1937   1   1
1 posts
I'm attempting to rig a teddy bear. It is basically a biped auto rig but I want to add some extra bones for ears. Are there any very basic resources or tutorials on how to add bones into an existing capture? The node network within the autorig digital asset is a little intimidating and I'm lost.

To preface, I have read through this post: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/53731/ [www.sidefx.com] but I don't fully understand it.
Staff
3455 posts
for general rigging info this series will help:
https://www.sidefx.com/learn/collections/rigging-series/ [www.sidefx.com]

as for adding bones to the autorig, it's pretty easy.
just create your bones and controls, then make sure the capture regions are properly aligned - use the Align Capture Pose shelf tool on the Rigging Tab
when you are inside the rig asset, you can do shift+Z in the network pane
this will expose the Node Groups - you'll see lots of them for all the different rig modules
if, in your case you've added ears, select the bones for the left side and in the Node Group menu select Add > Node Group
this will create a new Node Group with a default name - group1
if you look on the far right you'll see the number of nodes in this group in the #, this should be the same as the number of bones you selected
rename the group to what ever you need it to be - L_ear_bones
do the same for the right side

then in the geo_skin
you see near the top of the network a node called “bonecapturelines”
the autorig tools add a spare parameter to this node to make the capture workflow a bit easier - Auto Rig Node Groups
this is just a string that holds all the Node Groups that have bones in them, then there is an expression on the Extra Regions parameter that reads this list and finds the capture regions for these bones
if you add L_ear_bones to this list then turn on the display flag for the bonecapturelines SOP, you'll see all the bones in the rig as lines - you should see your ear bones (as lines) in the right spot - if not you make have to use the Align Capture Pose

now you can just re-cook the capture
display the bonedeform node and then select the Stash node - click Stash Input…and wait a bit.

hope that helps
I should do a quick video on this…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links