UV Layout

4278   3   1
129 posts
Hi! Im working on a simple procedural geometry. And I have created 3 groups based on primitive normals. And I want to be able to layout the uv´s automatically based on groups. Say that group1 gets 1/4 of the uv space and group 2 gets 1/4 and group3 gets the rest. In other word each group gets assigned uvspace.

In Maya there is a command named UvLayout that has a couple of options. One being that it takes the uv pieces, scale them uniformly and move them in 0-1 in uv space.

Are there any such function/operator in Houdini?

I was thinking of bumping this thread from Jason in 2004 but its from version 7 Early Access forums so its locked.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=2954&highlight=layout [sidefx.com]

Was it ever RFE´d?
2199 posts
You could use uvunwrap on each group and in between each one use a uvtexture sop to scale the uv's in the range you want.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
129 posts
Thank you Simon I have totally missed the Modify Source option in UVTexture SOP.

However I can still see some sort of UVLayout operator useful. Of course I can do it manually but its something that organizes the pieces fast, and having it procedural would be beautiful. Perhaps that is something that can be written in VEX.
2199 posts
You could easily build a little asset to do that, all it needs to know is the number of sections and then a few very basic expressions would do the rest.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
  • Quick Links